This form of small and portable table cabinet which was uses as a means of storing valuables has its roots in the Spanish vargueño, transported into central Europe under the Hapsburg influence. Augsburg and Nuremburg were the centers of production of these cabinets, which are part of an extensive group of similarly decorated furniture from Swabia, Bavaria, and Tirol, all inlaid with characteristic marquetry of stylized ruins, scrollwork, and architectural scenes. This distinctive 'Ruinenarchitektur' marquetry is believed to be based on etchings executed by Leonard Thiry and Ducerceau in 1550 as well as on the Geometria und Perspektiva etlicher zerbrochener Gebew, a design book of drawings published in 1567 by Augsburg cabinetmaker Lorenz Stöer (see H. Kreisel, Die Kunst des deutschen Möbels, 1986, vol.1, pp. 85-87.) Several cabinets with similar marquetry are illustrated in Kriesel op. cit., fig's. 214-221. A closely related small table cabinet having a fall-front instead of a pair of doors, is illustrated in Schatzkästchen und Kabinettschrank, exh. cat. Kunstgewerbemuseum Berlin, Berlin, 1989, no. 13, pp. 112-113.