The Grand Duke Max Joseph and his wife Karoline, crowned the first King and Queen of Bavaria in 1806, redecorated Nymphenburg Palace extensively in the Empire and later Biedermeier style. This commode would have been supplied to the Palace during their reign, probably before 1825. While there are no existing inventories that correspond to the two inventory labels on the commode, the first label is from circa 1874 and the second is from circa 1900. See B. Langer, Die Möbel der Schlösser Nymphenburg und Schleissheim, Munich, 2000, pp. 43-46.