Please note that all mounts are copper-gilt.
Veuillez noter que toutes les montures de ce lot sont en cuivre dore.
The Property of Friedrich, Baron von Stumm,
formerly in the Collection of
Ferdinand Edouard, Baron von Stumm
The great-grandfather of the present owner, Ferdinand Edouard, Baron von Stumm (1843-1925), was a distinguished military officer, diplomat, business man and art collector. In the 1860s, after taking part in the military campaigns in Schleswig-Holstein and the Seven Weeks War, he fought with the British against the Abyssinians. He subsequently published an autobiographical account entitled My Experiences with the English Expedition in Abyssinia. From 1869, he entered the diplomatic service, although he was soon again on active service in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. In 1871 he was appointed Prussian Charg/ae d'affaires to the Vatican. He served in the Embassies in St. Petersburg and London, was Imperial Envoy to Copenhagen in 1877 and Ambassador to Madrid in 1879 and apparently again from 1887-1892. After Bismarck's fall from grace, von Stumm remained, unlike many politicians, loyal to the former Chancellor. In 1893 he retired from the diplomatic service. After the death of his brother Carl Ferdinand, he became Chairman of the firm of Gebrüder Stumm AG, and was also the owner of other important industrial enterprises.
Apart from his varied career, Ferdinand von Stumm's passionate interest was art. He spent part of every year in Florence, where he played a considerable part in the maintenance of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florence. His art collection was very extensive and included Spanish fine and decorative art collected during his posting to Madrid. When sold in Berlin in 1932 (1), it comprised almost 500 lots including an important Goya portrait of Antonio des Noriega, subsequently in the Kress Collection, and now in the National Gallery, Washington (2). The Spanish decorative arts included furniture, tiles, ecclesiastical vestments, carved rock crystal and a distinguished collection of silver. It is indicative of the quality of the silver collection as a whole that a dozen major pieces of Spanish silver now in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum (3) were formerly in the von Stumm Collection.
1. Stumm, F. von, Antiquitaten und alte Gemalde aus dem Nachlass des verstorbenen Frieherr F. von Stumm. Berlin (Deneke), 4 October 1932
2. Brown, J. and Mann, R., Spanish Paintings of the Fifteenth through Nineteenth Centuries, Washington, DC, 1990, pp. 21-223.
3. All described and illustrated in Oman, C., The Golden Age of Hispanic Silver, London, 1968, cat. nos. 38, 39, 42, 97, 103, 106, 112, 129, 129a, 130, 131, 138 and 147. All of these pieces were acquired by the American collector of Iberian silver Dr. W. L. Hildburgh, who left his collection to the Victoria and Albert Museum on his death in 1955.