This dressing-bureau is attributed to Johann Jakob Spindler (1724-92). The son of Johann Spindler (1691-1770) and brother of the celebrated ébénistes Johann Friedrich and Heinrich William, the latter of whom is thought to have trained in the Migeon atelier in Paris, Jakob was appointed Bayreuther Hofschreiner in 1748 and collaborated with the designer Carlo Galli Bibiena in Bayreuth in 1754.
Its unusual mouvmenté form is almost identical in profile to the bureau supplied by Jakob Spindler to the Neues Schloss in Bayreuth (illustrated in H. Kreisel, Die kunst des Deutschen Mobël, Munich, 1970, fig. 712). Kreisel records that the Neues Schloss bureau has a simulated walnut veneer, on a chalk ground, that was necessitated by the need for economy at the court.
The stylistic connection with Jakob Spindler is, moreover, further underlined by the closely related rosette parquetry of the fallfront, which is shared on a bureau cabinet also supplied by Spindler to Neues Schloss (ibid., fig. 714)