Andreas Bestreich, master in 1560, is recorded by Rosenberg (op. cit., III, no. 3944) as delivering twelve drinking vessels to the Nuremberg Rathaus between 1561 and 1584. A cup by him is in the collection of the Armoury, Moscow.
The basic form of this double cup is derived from late Gothic cups (see lot 50). The Nuremberg makers, Wenzel Jamnitzer in 1564 and Hans Petzolt, circa 1590 both made cups much closer to the Gothic prototype (C. Hernmarck, The Art of the European Silversmith, 1430-1830, London, 1977, pp. 46-47, figs. 118 and 121). The single cup by Paulus Flindt the Elder, circa 1565 (see lot 43) and a double cup of 1575 by Elias Lencker, also of Nuremberg, demonstrate the combination of late Gothic form and Renaissance ornament found on the present cup (J. Hayward, Virtuoso Goldsmiths, 1540-1620, London, 1976, pl. 489).