Christie's charges a Buyer's premium calculated at 23.205% of the hammer price for each lot with a value up to €110,000. If the hammer price of a lot exceeds €110,000 then the premium for the lot is calculated at 23.205% of the first €110,000 plus 11.9% of any amount in excess of €110,000. Buyer's Premium is calculated on this basis for each lot individually.
WORKS OF ART SURPLUS TO REQUIREMENTS, REMOVED FROM THE DEPOT OF THE FÜRSTLICHEN SALM'SCHEN COLLECTION, WASSERBURG ANHOLT
The Wasserburg Anholt was built prior to 1169 to defend the extensive southeastern territories of the Bishopric of Utrecht.
When Stephen III of Zulen (1313-1347) was Lord of Anholt the castle and its surrounding estate consequently passed by way of marriage into the possession of the Lords of Bronckhorst-Batenburg. Through war the Anholt estate was looted and lost and only in 1537 Dietrich III of Bronckhorst-Batenburg was able to recover his estate through a treaty.
Dietrich IV of Bronckhorst-Batenburg was raised to the rank of Count in 1621 by Emperor Ferdinand II, and transferred the estate to his son-in-law, Leopold Philipp Carl Prince of Salm, Wildgrave and Rhinegrave.
A prolonged period of peace followed, during which many alterations and improvements took place under the architect Tommaso Tommasini, the castle thereby loosing its character of a fortress and taking on much of the present aspect as a princely residence.
Many improvements to the interior were made, the picture collection was hung in the great hall and tapestries and furniture were commissioned. When in 1711 French troops disregarded the neutrality of the estate and entered the castle it seems that only silver and gold items of value were looted.
Under Ludwig Otto the great hall took on its final form, the panelling being designed by the architect Van der Willigen from Cleve in which 82 paintings were placed. Prince Carl Theodor Otto the tutor of the later Emperor Joseph I brought further works of art and paintings to Anholt. His grand nephew Nickolaus Leopold was his successor but spent little time at Anholt, being Govenor of Antwerp and Imperial-fieldmarshall. His son Ludwig Carl Otto was really the first collector, he lived some years in Paris and bought numerous major works for his property in Lorraine from where 20 paintings were brought to Anholt at the time of the French Revolution and another 66 are still now in the museum of Epinal in the Departement des Voges.
During the following Napoleonic Wars the Princes of Salm-Salm were forced to join the Confederation of the Rhine, and Anholt became part of the French Empire in 1810. After the mediatisation Anholt was liberated from French rule in 1813 by Russian and Prussian troops, but at the Congress of Vienna the sovereignty of the principality of Salm and the estate of Anholt was abrogated; as Westfalia became part of the Sate of Prussia. From this date the Castle of Anholt became the private residence of the Salm family.
During the nineteenth century the castle saw some modernisation of the living quarters and the rooms used as museum were inaugurated. The collection played a major role in the life of the successive owners and it fell to the father of the present owner to rebuild the parts damaged in the second world war and to rehang the collection now open to the public.
The Works of Art from the Fürstlichen Salm'schen Collections offered in this sale are surplus to requirements, removed from the depot of Wasserburg Anholt, including paintings from the Chapel, which was destroyed in 1945.