A GOLD FREEDOM CASKET
maker's mark of Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company, London, 1927
Shaped-oblong and on four foliate chased bracket feet, the sides applied with two enamelled coats-of-arms and inset with a chased view of a building between, the hinged domed cover with Tudor rose and foliage finial, engraved with presentation inscription, marked on side and cover - 8in. (20.5cm.) wide
gross 30ozs. (959grs.)
The inscription reads 'Presented to William Julien Courtauld Esq. J.P., C.C., by the inhabitants of Braintree to commemorate his gift of the Town Hall opened on 22nd May 1928 by the Right Honble The Earl of Crawford and Balcarres P.C., K.T.'
The arms are those of Courtauld and Braintree??