These Doulton panels were originally commissioned to decorate the walls of The Royal Courts of Justice Restaurant, which opened at 222, the Strand, London in 1883. The establishment occupied the ground floor of a new building that had been constructed on the site of the Palsgrave Head Tavern, an inn that had been much frequented by Ben Jonson, hence the specific subject matter of the panels recalling some of Jonson's works. Unfortunately, despite the highly decorative internal schemes, the restaurant failed to attract enough business, and closed soon afterwards. The derelict building was then taken over by Lloyds Bank in 1895, becoming the Law Courts Branch. It was described in the Penny Illustrated Paper in that year as the handsomest and most elegant bank in London.
Julian Barnard Victorian Ceramic Tiles, Studio Vista, London 1972