This dish forms part of a group of Gubbio dishes moulded with relief borders with central medallions often depicting Saints and which are sometimes inscribed Agnus Dei. See Julia Poole, Italian maiolica and incised slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge, Cambridge, 1995, p. 227, no. 300 for a similarly inscribed dish. The author notes that the earliest published example is in the British Museum, decorated with the Sacred Monogram and dated 1530, and that 'From the wide disparity in the quality of the reliefs and decoration of this class, it may be inferred that the moulds were used over a long period from about 1530, possibly until the early 1550s'. None of the recorded examples bear the 'MoGo' mark but several have 'N' marks; these and the 'L' mark on the present lot are presumably the mark of the lusterer. For a dish from the Gillet Collection, painted in a very similar hand with Saint John the Baptist holding a banner within a moulded pinecone border, see Carola Fiocco, et al., Majoliques Italiennes du Musée des Arts Décoratifs de Lyon, Dijon, 2001, p. 148, no. 104. Another painted with Saint Antonio of Padua is illustrated by Giuliana Gardelli, Italika Maiolica Italiana del Rinascimento, Faenza, 1999, p. 329, no. 145.