24 April 2002
A HUTSCHENREUTHER PORCELAIN RECTANGULAR PLAQUE OF 'THE SYNDICS'
Late 19th century, impressed crown and shield mark and 311, signed Wagner
Finely painted after Rembrandt with five officials of the cloth guild in black cloaks and hats seated around a table, attended by a standing valet
5 x 7in. (12.6 x 17.9cm.), within a pink velvet and gilt wood frame
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
This work was completed in 1662 and was commissioned to hang in the Cloth Guild's headquarters in Amsterdam. In 1808 the city of Amsterdam lent the original to the Rijksmuseum.
Ahead of an online sale that honours their close bond, Meredith Etherington-Smith traces the roots of a 40-year collaboration
Francis Bacon's poignant celebration of George Dyer, the artist's most important subject, will star in Christie’s Post-War and Contemporary Art Evening Sale on 17 May