This rug is one of a well-known group of similar rugs. One was sold in these Rooms, 17 October 1996, lot 408, one formerly in the Kevorkian Collection was sold subsequently Jean Lefevre, (Turkish Carpets, London, 4 February, 1977, lot.9), another is in the Ballard Collection (J. F. Ballard, Catalogue of Oriental Rugs in the Collection of James F. Ballard, St. Louis, 1924, no.30), while a fourth is in the Evangelical Church, Sebes/Mühlbach (Stefano Ionescu, Antique Ottoman Rugs in Transylvania, Italy, 2005, Cat.222, p.172). The overall concept of their design is very close to that of the Ottoman Court products of the sixteenth century. They also share a number of features with the contemporaneous products of Ghiordes, for which please see lots 50 and 56 in this sale. Their dating to early in the eighteenth century is confirmed by one example with an added embroidered date of 1736 AD, ilustrated by Schmutzler as being in the Protestant Church in Rasnov, but which is no longer there (Emil Schmutzler, Altorietalische Teppiche in Siebenbürgen, Leipzig, 1933, pl.33).