Accompanied by Uhrenmuseum Glashütte Certificate and a copy of the delivery report confirming the sale of the present watch to the Ministry of Aviation in Berlin and Commander of the Airforce on 5 March 1941 for the amount of 366 Marks.
The present watch is part of a small series of 189 large aviator's watches developed around 1940 and exclusively reserved for the German Airforce, following strict specifications in regard to accuracy. The caliber 45 movement was fitted with an indirect sweep centre mechanism with hacking feature based on Junghans' patent. The balance is stopped and hands can be set while simultaneously depressing the button in the band and pulling the large crown. The large size of the crown allows winding and setting even when wearing gloves.
As of around 1937, watches used by the German airforce were fitted with a panel indicating manufacturer, serial number and a "Fl" number. In order to disguise information regarding manufacturer and quantities produced, these indications were coded from 1941 onwards.
The watches were primarly tested by the Deutsche Versuchsanstalt für Luftfahrt DVL (German Aviation Research Institute) and classified with a so-called "Fl.-Number". The Fl. stands for flight and the first two digits, 22, for flight control; 23 stands for navigation and 25 for radio surveillance, followed by the three digits serial number given by the DVL. The equipment number was 127-560B (or A).
The present watch is from the series predecessing the later main series of Lange's aviator watches fitted with caliber 48 movements.
The models are explained and illustrated in A. Lange & Söhne - eine Uhrmacher-Dynastie aus Dresden by Reinhard Meis, pp. 220 & 221 and in Military Timepieces by Konrad Knirim.
We are indebted to Mr. Reinhard Reichel, Uhrenmuseum Glashütte, for his valuable help in researching the present watch.