The term langyao derives its name from Lang Tingji, director of the official kilns at Jingdezhen between 1705-1712, who is credited with the revival of monochrome glazes and particularly copper-red glazes. A similar langyao vase was sold in these rooms, 20 March 1997, lot 408. See, also, the langyao bottle vase of similar shape from the E. T. Hall Collection, sold in our London rooms, 7 June 2004, lot 280. Another smaller example is illustrated by Gorer and Blacker, Chinese Porcelain and Hard Stones, London, 1911, pl. 164 (left).