The Royal Irish Fusiliers were formed in September, 1793 as part of an expansion of the English Army due to the threat of an imminent French invasion. The 87th Regiment of Foot were raised in Dublin after capturing the Eagle Standard of the 8th French Infantry Regiment at the Battle of Borrosa in March 1811, and were granted the title 'The Prince of Wales' Own Regiment'. Their title changed to the Royal Irish Fusiliers in November of 1827; presumably this tankard, made in 1824, was acquired for use by the regiment after this date as it is inscribed with that name. In 1881 they were amalgamated with The 89th to become The Princess Victoria's Irish Fusiliers. On vesting day, the 1st July 1968, The Royal Irish Rangers were formed of three Irish Regiments, The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, The Royal Ulster Rifles and The Royal Irish Fusiliers. Between them, these three regiments were awarded seventeen Victoria Crosses. In 1992, amalgamation of the Royal Irish Rangers with The Ulster Defence Regiment formed the Royal Irish Regiment.