A monochrome example of this model was exhibited along with an extensive range of products from the Wiener Keramik designed by Powolny, Löffler and others, at the Fruhjahrsausstellung Österreichischer Kunstgewerbe, at the Austrian Museum for Art and Industry, Vienna in 1912. (See Deutsche Kunst und Dekoration, Vol. 31, 1912/13, p. 95.)
See also: Waltraud Neuwirth, Wiener Keramik, Historismus, Jugendstil, Art Deco, 1974, p. 81, fig. 38.
Löffler was co-founder with Michael Powolny of the Wiener Keramik workshops in 1906. Trained as a graphic designer, and first employed as an illustrator and poster artist, Löffler added his graphic skills to those of potter Powlony to produce a very distinctive style for the Wiener Keramik. The WW took over management of the sale and the distribution of its products in 1907; in this same year, under the direction of Josef Hoffmann, the Wiener Keramik produced all of the ceramic tiling in the Cabaret Fledermaus (see previous lot) and also executed designs by Löffler and Powolny for the Palais Stoclet (see lot 56). In 1913, the Wiener Keramik merged with the Gmundner Keramik to create the Vereinigte Wiener und Gmundner Keramik. (See footnote to lot 41)