This form was originally conceived as part of the grand 'St. George and the Dragon' fountain created by Minton for the 1862 London Exhibition. The fountain stood an impressive 36 feet high and had four of these 'stork' basins surmounted by either nereids or tritons at its base. See The Art Journal Illustrated Catalogue of the International Exhibition 1862, London, p. 209. Another including the majolica ornamentation is located in the British Royal Collection, in the Royal Dairy at the Model Farms at Frogmore. The dairy's interior was designed by John Thomas in collaboration with Prince Albert. See M.G. Karmason and J.B. Stacke, Majolica, A Complete History and Illustrated Survey, New York, 1989, p. 216 for an illustration. Also see D. Corbin, 'A Most Exquisite Display, European Ceramics at the Centennial Exhibition', The Decorative Arts Society Journal, 2006, p. 24 for an illustration of A.B. Daniell & Sons display of majolica at the Philadelphia Exhibition of 1876. The present form is illustrated at the left of the image and is likely documentary provenance for the present lot.