Ardgair and Ardgorm were a virtually identical pair of general cargo steamers built in 1913 for Lang & Fulton Ltd. by R. Duncan & Co. on the Clyde at Port Glasgow. Registered at 5,119 tons gross/3,282 net (Ardgair) and 5,131 gross/3,287 net (Ardgorm), each vessel measured 405 feet in length with a 53 foot beam and was powered by a triple-expansion 3-cylinder engine by J.G. Kincaird of Greenock to give a service speed of 10 knots. Probably as a result of the excessively high price of shipping due to wartime losses, both ships were sold within five years of completion and thereafter pursued very different careers.
Ardgair was purchased by the Prince Line in 1918 and renamed Manchurian Prince. After fifteen years under the Prince flag, she was sold to Continental Indies Shipping of Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1933 and renamed Naana but then resold again to Yugoslavian owners only two years later. Subsequently renamed three more times under successive new owners, all Yugoslavian, she survived the Second World War and was finally scrapped in Hong Kong in 1959.
Ardgorm meanwhile had been sold to the Norfolk & North American Steam Shipping Co. in 1917 and renamed Hartland Point prior to being renamed again in 1920 as Hartmore. Sold to Anglo-Oriental in 1921 and renamed Sureway, she was then sold to Japanese owners in 1926 and never returned to British registry. Renamed Junyo Maru and later Zyunyo Maru, she became a casualty of war when she was torpedoed and sunk by H.M. Submarine Tradewind off the west coast of Sumatra on 18th September 1944. Tragically, she was en route to Padang (Indonesia), conveying both allied prisoners of war as well as Javanese labourers all of whom lost their lives when she was sunk.