Barrington Court, described in Country Life, September 17th 1904 as ''...one of the finest houses in all Somerset'' was built (certainly on an older site that existed at the time of the Doomsday survey), from local Ham stone by Lord Daubeny circa 1514-1520. It was sold to Lord Philip of Montacute in 1605, passing to his son in 1618, who mortgaged it in 1621.
By 1623 the house was in the possession of William Strode, a merchant of Shepton Mallett. On his death in 1666 he was succeeded by his son William Strode II who ''...was visited by (the Duke of) Monmouth on his Western Tour in 1680''. It is likely that this fashionable suite of leather would have been commissioned from Strode's agents in Cordoba for this prestigious visit - it's exotic and expensive material chosen to impress upon the Duke the social standing of the family.
In the early 20th century the house was derelict, and was acquired by the National Trust in 1921, who leased it to a Colnel A.A. Lyle. Lyle immediately undertook the restoration which spanned some five years. The present panels are one of the few remnants of the house' former days of glory.