The U.S. Frigate Essex was the only warship Salem's shipyards ever produced. Her princliple dimensions were : LOA - 140 ft, Beam - 31 ft, Draft - 12.3 ft., and she had a GRT of 850. She was entirely constructed from Essex county materials by master shipbuilder, Enos Briggs. Although launched in 1799, the Essex saw no combat until the war of 1812. In 1814, at the neutral harbor of Valparaiso, Chile, two British warships continued to fire upon the Essex even after she had struck her colors. The captured Essex was reduced to a shattered hulk and almost one quarter of the crew killed.