This clock case exemplifies the chinoiserie revival as interpreted in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century reflecting the taste of the Prince of Wales and his furnishings at Carlton House and Brighton Pavilion. The design of the case appears in the same basic form, with minor variations on another clock signed Robert Philp, sold Christie's London, 17 November 1994, lot 44, and a further unsigned example in a private New York collection. This would indicate a common supplier working with various different clockmakers. Interestingly, the Philp clock case is stamped HOBSON (or possibly HQBSQN).
This clock once formed part of the collection formed by Mr. and Mrs. Basil Ionides for Buxted Park, Sussex which they acquired in 1931. Mrs. Ionides, the daughter of 1st Viscount Bearstead, married her second husband in 1930 but had been collecting from the early 1920's under the advice of furniture historian Margaret Jourdain. Her brother, also a great collector, bought Upton House, Warwickshire in 1927 when he succeeded to the title and gave the house and its collections to the National Trust in 1948. The Ionides collection was sold by Sotheby's London in various sales in 1963 and 1964.
Joseph and Alfred Jump were the sons of Richard Jump (fl.1807-25), who had been apprenticed to Benjamin Lewis Vulliamy (d.1854), 'Or Molu Manufacturer in Ordinary' and 'Furniture Man' to George, Prince of Wales, in 1812. Established at 1A Old Bond Street, his sons clearly enjoyed a flourishing business and were appointed Clock and Watchmakers to Queen Victoria.