Joseph Gengenbach, dit Canabas, maître in 1766.
The interlaced G below a coronet is the brand used for the château des Tuileries. The château was originally built for Catherine de Medici by Philibert Delorme between 1564 and 1580. It was largely abandoned until Marie Antoinette re-furnished it after 1784 because she found its central location more convenient than Versailles when attending festivities in Paris. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were finally brought in triumph to the château by the populace in 1789 to their 'gilded prison', remaining there until it was sacked by the mob in 1792. Renamed Palais des Tuileries during the Revolution, it was used by the National Convention and the Comité de Salut Public in 1793 and was later the seat of the Government during the Empire, Restauration and Second Empire. Napoleon redecorated the palais in typically opulent style with the help of Percier and Fontaine, but retained much of the earlier furniture. The Tuileries was finally destroyed by fire during the Commune in 1871.
The absence of any inventory numbers unfortunately does not allow us to determine any specifics of Canabas' commission for this jardinière.