The Cary family firm of globe-makers was founded in the late eighteenth century by John Cary (1755-1835). The Cary family swiftly became one of the leading London globe-makers along with the family firms of Newton and Bardin; 1816 saw the introduction of an 18in. pair to their range, and in 1820, William moved into the premises at 181 Strand and John moved to 86 St James's Street. John's two sons George (c.1788-1859) and John (1791-1852) also moved into 181 Strand in 1822 where they conducted their own business making and selling globes. When John snr. died in 1835 the company was run by Henry Gould, although it retained the trading name of William Cary until 1890, the Post Office directory recording Cary & Co. at 7 Pall Mall in 1892, and then Cary, Porter & Co. at the same address from 1894-1904.