A thesis by Wade Alan Lawrence in fulfillment of the Art History degree at the University of Minnesota in 1984, investigates the role of Anne Van Derlip Weston within the Tiffany Glass Company and her relationship with the company after she married and moved from New York to Duluth, Minnesota in 1888. The daughter of a prominent art collector, Anne grew up in a cultured New York household and is thought to have attended Rutgers Female College. Upon graduating, she joined Tiffany's firm, Associated Artists, and according to the notes of another female employee, Agnes Northrop, Anne Van Derlip was, by 1884, in charge of the Women's Glass Department there.
The Glass Department was responsible for preparing the puzzle pieces of glass for assembly in larger compositions, using the copper foil technique--a technique which Tiffany employed in addition to lead caming. However, Anne's portfolio shows that she was involved with the design of Tiffany's windows as well as their construction.
The transom window being offered here comes from Anne Weston's residence on Superior Street in Duluth. The window features "scribed", or sculpted leading, a hallmark of Tiffany's earlier windows (see Robert Judson Clark, ed., The Arts and Crafts Movement in America 1876-1916, 1972, p. 19, fig. 6 for another Tiffany window with sculpted leading. See also Alastair Duncan, Tiffany Windows, 1980, pp. 76-77).
Anne continued to work with Tiffany while she was in Duluth, submitting designs which were executed in New York. The window for which she is best known is the "Minnehaha" window, which after winning international acclaim at the World's Columbian Exposition, in Chicago in 1893, returned to Duluth, where it remains today (see Duncan, Tiffany Windows, p. 18, fig. 4).