Founded in Vienna in 1822 by Josef Lobmeyr (1792-1855), a glazier from Grieskirchen near Linz, J. & L. Lobmeyr (named for Josef's sons Josef and Ludwig), was amongst the glassmakers who showed a strong interest in Islamic glass. It was under Ludwig's direction that the company turned its attention to enamel painting and Islamic style ornamentation. This series is known as the Arabian series designed by the architects Johann Machytka and Franz Schmoranz around 1878. For a short discussion on the Arabic inscriptions found on this series, please see lot 232.