Located in the Bresle valley between Normandy and Picardy, the chteau d'Eu was reconstructed in 1578 by Henri le Balafr, duc de Guise. In the eighteenth century it was the home of the ducs de Maine and subsequently Orlans. The chteau was seized during the Revolution and most of its furnishings either sold or destroyed. In 1814 it was restituted to the dowager duchesse d'Orlans, daughter of the duc de Penthivre, the future Louis-Philippe, who in 1821 started to restore and refurbish the chteau. This chandelier was probably supplied during this period, when the got gothique was fashionable among a circle of aristocratic patrons close to the court, such as the duchesse de Berry and the comtesse d'Osmond. It is interesting to note however that the champion of the later Gothic revival style, Viollet-le-Duc (1814-1878), also supplied furnishings to the chteau d'Eu during the 1870's (see A. Gruber ed., L'Art Dcoratif en Europe du Noclassicisme L'Art Dco, Paris, 1994, p. 147).