Panshanger, initially extended 1806-7 for Peter, 5th Earl Cowper (d.1837) by Samuel Wyatt (d.1807), was completed in the 'pittoresque' Romantic Gothick style by his brother James's pupil, William Atkinson (d.1839), and was complimented by a landscaped park, by Humphry Repton (d.1818). This bureau mazarin was placed in the drawing room and was illustrated there in Country Life, 18 January 1936, p.42, fig.11.
It is not known when the bureau brisée entered the Cowper Collection but it may well have been acquired through Anne, wife of the 7th Earl Cowper (d.1850). She was the daughter of the 2nd Earl de Grey (1781-1859), who built a French dix-huitième style mansion at Wrest Park, Bedfordshire in the 1830s. Before moving to Wrest Park he lived at Newby Hall, Yorkshire, with his family and spent a large amount of time in Paris in the 1820s. He also gave considerable assistance to the duchesse de Berri and the duchesse d'Angoulême following the 1830 Paris Revolution.