PROPERTY FROM AN HISTORIC MANHATTAN LANDMARK RESIDENCE (LOTS 71-82)
Lots 71-82 originally adorned the sumptuous interiors of the historic landmark residences of furniture wholesaler Henry T. Sloane and Bethlehem Steel magnate Oliver Gould Jennings. Built during a residential migration of Manhattan's elite to the Upper East Side, both mansions were completed in the last decade of the 19th century by two of the city's most prominent architectural firms, Carrère & Hastings (1896) and Flagg & Chambers (1899), respectively.
The Henry T. Sloane Mansion was the first of the great Upper East Side mansions built in Carrère and Hastings's "Modern French" style, with similarly furnished interiors to match. The firm frequently repeated the style, not only reviving the Mansard roof, but also incorporating Neoclassic architectural elements and fronting many of the structures with rows of floor-to-ceiling French doors.
Three years following the completion of the Sloane house, the Oliver Gould Jennings residence, an ornate example of the French 'Beaux-Arts' style was completed flanking the East side of the Sloane mansion. However, both styles met with mixed criticism and it is likely that the pair provoked The Architectural Review to deem the cartouche "an ornament like the bubonic plague" and utterly "offensive" (see M. Kathrens, Great Houses of New York: 1880-1930, New York, 2005, p. 83).
Regardless of the criticism, both firms, especially Carrère & Hastings, remained an obvious choice for Manhattan's privileged class and went on to design some of the City's most recognizable public structures, including the New York Public Library and the arched entrance to the Manhattan Bridge.