This Louis XV bureau plat bears the brand of the marchand-mercier Edward Holmes Baldock (d. 1845), who was established in Hanway Street in 1805 and played a leading role in the introduction of such furniture to England during the reigns of George IV and William IV. Baldock was responsible for the formation of many of the great early 19th Century collections of French furniture, including those of the Dukes of Buccleuch and Northumberland and William Beckford. Although Baldock was mainly dealing in antique porcelain and furniture, he also repaired, remodelled and altered existing furniture. His EHB mark cannot, however, be regarded as a maker's mark in the traditional sense, as he also branded furniture that merely passed through his hands.
Amongst related tables bearing his brand was one that was anonymously sold at Sotheby's London, 1 July 1977, lot 97.