Pierre Roussel, maître in 1745.
This commode stil carries the label for Schloss Schillersdorf, the vast hunting estate in Silesia of the Austrian Rothschilds. It was purchased by Salomon de Rothschild (d.1911) in 1843 shortly after he was made a citizen of Vienna. His sons, Baron Alphonse (1878-1942) and Baron Louis Nathaniel (1882-1995) continued to use it, especially Louis Nathaniel, who was a renowned sportsman. It was confiscated first by the Nazis and then after World War II by the communist Czechoslovakian government, which converted it to a hotel training center which it remains today. Other important pieces of French furniture from Baron Alphonse's collection are now in the J.Paul Getty Museum, notably the great corner cupboard by Jacques Dubois and a secretaire mounted with Sévres plaques by Martin Carlin (both illustrated in C. Bremer-David, Decorative Arts, An Illustrated Summary Catalogue of the Collections of the J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, 1993, p. 33, fig. 38 and p. 39, fig. 47 respectively).