Christophe Wolff, maître in 1755.
The design of the trophies on this bureau à cylindre demonstrates how ébénistes made full use of prints in their search for marquetry patterns. Christophe Wolff often used a set of engravings which was advertised in the Mercure de France as early as 1740.
The group of furniture by Wolff directly inspired by these engravings includes a commode in the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, which is discussed in G. de Bellaigue, "Engravings and the French Eighteenth-Century Marqueteur", Burlington Magazine, June 1965, p. 249.
The origin of the tripartite composition which appears not only on the cylinder but also to the sides of that cylinder bureau is ultimately derived from the oeuvre of Jean-François Oeben. It figures on several pieces by him including the mechanical table formerly with Didier Aaron illustrated in R. Stratmann-Döhler, Jean-François Oeben, Paris, 2002, p. 95.
The structure and decoration of this bureau à cylindre was also used by Wolff's contemporary François Gaspard Teuné who executed a bureau sold from the château de Vaux-le-Vicomte, sold Christie's, Monaco, 17 June 2000, lot 258.
The marchand-mercier Edward Holmes Baldock (d.1854), 'Purveyor of China, Earthenware and Glass to William IV' (1832-7) and 'Purveyor of China to Queen Victoria' (1838-45), was both a retailer and manufacturer of furniture and objets de luxe in the French taste. Established in Hanway Street, London, he employed the brand 'E.H.B.' on both antique pieces, particularly Boulle and Louis XV marquetry furniture, as well as on his own furniture inspired by earlier French prototypes that were executed on the premises. Remarkably, Baldock was responsible for the formation of many of the greatest early 19th Century collections of French furniture, including those of George IV, the Dukes of Buccleuch and Northumberland, William Beckford and George Byng, M.P..