Charles Topino was born in Arras in 1742. He became maître on the 14th of July 1773. He set up his workshop on the Rue du Fabourg Saint Antoine.
Topino made small elegant pieces of furniture often decorated with marquetry panels. He specialised in floral bouquets on a plain ground and chinoiserie panels inspired by 17th century chinese coromandel lacquer.
The stamp impressed on the underside of the table is that of Louis Jean Marie de Bourbon, Duc de Penthievre (1725 - 1793) at Chanteloup. The Duc the Penthievre was the son of Louis-Alexandre-Marie, Comte de Toulouse (the illegitimate son of Louis XIV and Madame de Montspan) and Marie-Victoire Sophie de Noailles, the duchesse de Penthievre. He was one of the wealthiest noblemen of France and at one time owned the following estates: Chanteloup, Sceaux, Chateauneuf-sur-Loire, Anet, Rambouillet, Gisors, Eu, Blois, Amboise and Mereville.
The Castle of Chanteloup was built in 1711. In 1765 it was bought by Etienne François de Choiseul, who modernised and furnished the château with the help of the architect Lecamus. After the death of the duc de Choiseul in 1785, the fully furnished château de Chanteloup was sold to the duc de Penthievre. He devised the Chanteloup stamp, the anchor symbolising his function of Grand Amiral de France.