Roger van der Cruse, known as Lacroix, maître in 1755
Commodes à l'anglaise, with open shelves to the sides, were introduced in the 1770's and enjoyed considerable popularity among the English aristocracy. This commode relates to pieces supplied by the celebrated marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre (d.1796) who retailed objets de luxe to the French Court and, after the Revolution, to the English nobility. Daguerre was commissioned in 1787 to supply furnishings to George, Prince of Wales at Carlton House under the direction of Henry Holland. Shortly afterwards, in 1788, he established his shop in Piccadilly, London. Among Daguerre's principal clients was John, 3rd Earl Spencer, to whom he supplied on 31 May 1791 'Deux consoles en Bois d'acajou avec tablettes de marbre entre les Pieds, garni de frieze mouleur et autres Bronzes doré d'or moulu, les Dessus en marbre Blanc a 960 - 1920 livres'.