Adam Weisweiler, maître in 1778.
This 'console desserte' closely relates to the oeuvre of Adam Weisweiler, working under the direction of the celebrated marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre. With its milles-raies panelled plinth and capped turned tapering fluted legs, it relates to a pair of consoles supplied by Daguerre for George, Prince of Wales, later King George IV's use at Carlton House, stamped A. WEISWEILER and illustrated in A. Nicolay L'art et la Manière des Maîtres ébénistes, Paris, p. 483, fig D, as well as to a set of four consoles executed by both Weisweiler and Beneman, displaying identical galleries and closely related Corinthian capitals (P. Lemmonier, Weisweiler, Paris, 1983, p.128). These same elements also featured on the commode delivered by Daguerre for the Cabinet Intérieur of Louis XVI at the château de Saint-Cloud in 1788 (now in the Musée du Louvre, illustrated in ibid., p.133).
This model was not, however, exclusively made by Weisweiler, as a related console desserte, executed in thuya by Gaspard Schneider, originally one of a pair, was sold anonymously at Christie's New York, 2 November 2001, lot 227 ($188,500). Interestingly Schneider, who married Martin Carlin's widow in 1785 and took over the latter's atelier, also inherited Carlin's relationship with Daguerre, for whom he is known to have both finished incomplete Carlin pieces as well as supplying newly-made furniture to order. A further closely related console desserte with bronzes attributed to François Rémond, the ébénisterie attributed to Johann-Gottlieb Frost on the basis of similar mounts supplied by Rémond to Frost in January 1787, is illustrated in C. Baulez, 'François Rémond, Bronzier', L'Estampille'L'Objet d'Art, September 1996, pp.97-118.
DOMININIQUE DAGUERRE AND WEISWEILER
The heir to Simon-Philippe Poirier's (d. 1785) atelier, Daguerre specialised in supplying objets de luxe to the French Court and, following the Revolution particularly to the English nobility. Based in the rue St. Honoré, as his trade label reveals he 'Tient Magafin de Porcelaines, Bronzes, Ebénisterie, Glaces, Curiosit és, & autres Marchandifes'. In 1786, Daguerre signed an agreement with Josiah Wedgwood for the exclusive rights to sell Wedgwoods' Jasperware in France, and in the following year he was commissioned to supply the furnishings for George, Prince of Wales at Carlton House, under the direction of Henry Holland. Opening a shop in Piccadilly, Daguerre supplied such figures as the Duke of York, Lady Holderness, Earl Spencer and the 5th Duke of Bedford.
Interestingly, a preparatory sketch directly identified with Daguerre's activites in England in the late 1780's depicts a closely related pier table supplied through the architect Henry Holland to George, Prince of Wales, later George IV, for the dining room at Carlton House. This drawing is illustrated both above and in P. Lemonnier, ibid, p. 75.