Claude Charles Saunier, maître in 1752.
Descending from a family of ébénistes, Saunier was accepted into the community and the workshop of his father, Jean-Charles, in 1752. Located in the rue Faubourg Saint-Antoine, the premises had originally been occupied by his grandfather, Charles. Upon his succession to his father's workshop in 1765, Claude-Charles registered his letters patent and continued the business. He briefly continued to adopt the Louis XV style and then rapidly adopted the neo-classic designs of the Transitional and Louis XVI periods that he appears to have favoured, and for which he is now renowned. Saunier's success was not confined to France and his reputation reached London where, through his work for the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre, he supplied, amongst other collectors, Lord Spencer.
A secretaire à abattant by Saunier displaying very similar trellis parquetry sold anonymously, Sotheby's New York, 31 October 1986, lot 101, ($38,500). An identical secretaire, if not the same, is illustrated in P. Kjellberg, Le Mobilier Français du XVIIIeme Siècle, Paris, 1989, p.777.
A bureau plat of nearly identical shape and with very similar parquetry and mounts by the celebrated Jean-Henri Riesener, which had belonged to Sir Charles Mills, 1st Bt. or his son Charles 1st Lord Hillingdon and then by descent to 4th Lord Hillingdon, was sold by The Trustees of Lord Hillingdon, Christie's London, 29 June 1972, lot 92, and again anonymously at Christie's London, 6 December 1984, lot 83.