Jean Nicolas Schmit, with premises in Paris on the rue Martin, is recorded as the chief supplier of works to the firm of Dihl & Guérhard.
A pair of biscuit figures of children reading is in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston similar to those on the present clock. One of the pair can be seen in the background of a portrait of Dihl dated 1797 by Etienne Charles Le Guay (see Régine de Plinval de Guillebon, Faïence et porcelaine de Paris, XVIII - XIX siècles, Paris, 1995, fig. 63).
The Duc d'Angoulème porcelain factory was established by the partners Guérhard and Dihl in 1780 under the protection of the duc d'Angouléme, son of the Comte d'Artois. Recorded in the Rue Bondy (or rue du Temple), they specialized in the production of extremely fine quality biscuit and hard-paste porcelain, as well as jasper plaques in imitation of Wedgwood. They were extensively patronized by the Garde-Meuble, supplying clock cases ranging from 200 to 6000 L. The porcelain manufactory collaborated frequently with Jean-Nicolas Schmit, maître horloger in 1781, who supplied the movements. A related clock, with a movement by Schmit, was offered Christie's New York, 26 October 2001, lot 314.