Nicolas Petit, matre in 1761
Jean-Andr Lepaute (1720-1789) and his brother Jean-Baptiste (1727-1802) were the founders of one of the most celebrated dynasties of clock-makers, receiving the titles of Horloger du Roi, Horloger de S.A.S le duc de Bourbon and Horloger de Monseigneur, comte d'Artois. Having set up their first workshop in Paris in 1740, as early as 1748 they delivered a monumental clock to Louis XV for the chteau de la Muette and in 1750 created the celebrated clock for the Luxembourg Palace, which enabled them to obtain lodgings there.
They were equally adept at the fashionable neo-classical styles of the 1770's and 1780's, as demonstrated by the striking case by Petit of the Victoria regulator. They employed many of the best sculptors to produce bronzes for their cases, including Clodion, Jean-Antoine Houdon and Auguste Pajou, often after designs by such influential figures as Charles de Wailly and Franois-Joseph Blanger, the comte d'Artois's architect. One of their most famous clocks from later in their career was the Paris City Hall Clock, supplied 1781-6, which had equation of time and showed day by day the sun's return to the meridian.
A closely related rgulateur by Lepaute, in a case by Petit, is in the Kunstgewerbe Museum, Berlin.