Property from the Estate of Robert M. McKinney
From his beginning as Phi Beta Kappa English department graduate of the University of Oklahoma in 1932 to clerking at Standard and Poor's in New York and serving in the US Navy in World War II, Robert Moody McKinney combined government service with involvement in the upper levels of the financial world and publishing Santa Fe's daily newspaper, The New Mexican.
He served in the administrations of Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy (as Ambassador to Switzerland), Johnson and Nixon in various treasury and atomic energy related capacities and was involved with various local issues in Santa Fe and the state of New Mexico including working with the noted architects John Gaw Meem in the establishment of the historical zone in downtown Santa Fe and establishing the Santa Fe campus of St. Johns College of Annapolis.
He was active in the financial markets all his life and served on the boards of several listed corporations including IT&T, TWA and Martin Marieta.
He acquired The New Mexican in 1949 and was its editor and publisher until his death on June 24, 2001. He merged the newspaper with Gannett Co. Inc. in 1976 but successfully recovered it after a long legal battle over breech of contract in 1989.
He and his wife Marie-Louise McKinney maintained an apartment in New York at 720 Park Avenue which they filled with an eclectic collection of art objects.