Henry Dasson (d.1896), the celebrated Parisian ébéniste and bronzier, had workshops at 106, rue Vieille du Temple and specialised in the production of Louis XIV, XV and XVI style furniture and objects, either making direct copies of Royal furniture, or re-interpreting the original models. In 1871, he bought the workshop and stock from the widow of Charles-Guillaume Winckelsen, who had earlier established a reputation for furniture of the finest quality. Dasson continued with this acclaim and his display at the 1878 Paris Exposition universelle prompted the critc Louis Gonse to comment: "nouveau venu dans la carrière industrielle Henry Dasson s'est rapidement crée par la perfection de ses oeuvres une très haute situation à laquelle nous applaudissons chaleureusement". Dasson's stand included a gilt-bronze centre table, acquired by Lord Dudley and said by Gonse to be "un chef d'oeuvre de ciselure", and a copy of the celebrated bureau de Louis XV, bought by Lady Ashburton and thought to equal the original for "la délicatesse et le fini du travail". Dasson's business continued until 1894, when a sale of his remaining stock was held.
This fine quality clock and companion barometer copy the celebrated model attributed to Jean-Henri Riesener (maître 1768; d. 1806), executed in 1785 and now in the Louvre (cat. C.Dr., No. 185). The first replication of the model as a barometer (also in the Louvre) was made by the 19th century cabinet-maker, Guillaume Grohé (for an illustration of Riesener's original clock and Grohé's barometer, see P. Verlet, Les Bronzes Dorés du XVIIIe Siècle, Paris, 1987, p. 116, no. 145 and p. 384, no. 394).
Another single example of this model clock by Henry Dasson was sold in these rooms 14 September 1995, lot 447 ($36,800).