Born in 1847, Alfred Beurdeley took over the successful firm of his father, Louis-Auguste-Alfred (d.1882) in 1875. The shop was located at the Pavillon de Hanovre, while his workshops were at 20 and 24 rue Dautancourt. Beurdeley was pre-eminent among ébénistes, particularly for his refined ormolu and magnificent furniture copied from Louis XVI models in the Garde-meuble national. His work was displayed at the major International Exhibitions such as Paris in 1878 and 1889 and Amsterdam in 1883, where he was awarded the gold medal. The workshop finally closed in 1895, and between that year and 1901, fifteen sales of Beurdeley's remaining stock were held.
This fine quality bureau à cylindre is inspired by several 18th century models, including one by Pierre Roussel and one by F. G. Teune, which may be found at Windsor Castle.