Claude Charles Saunier, maître in 1752.
Descending from a family of ébénistes, Saunier was accepted into the community and the workshop of his father, Jean-Charles, in 1752. Located in the rue Faubourg Saint-Antoine, the premises had originally been occupied by his grandfather, Charles. Upon his succession to his father's workshop in 1765, Claude-Charles registered his letters patent and continued the business. He briefly continued to adopt the Louis XV style and then rapidly adopted the neo-classic designs of the Transitional and Louis XVI periods that he appears to have favoured, and for which he is now renowned. Saunier's success was not confined to France and his reputation reached London where, through his work for the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre, he supplied, amongst other collectors, Lord Spencer.