It is believed that no more than 6 clocks of this design were ever produced, one of them being the model given by Kaiser William II to his grandmother, Queen Victoria. It was placed at Osborne House circa 1895, where it remains to this day.
This series of clocks were believed to have been made to a design by Alexander Kips the first of which was produced in 1890
The Berlin Konigliche Porzellan Manufaktur, known as KPM, was founded in the first half of the 18th century and, after financial difficulties, was taken over by Frederik the Great in 1763. Royal participation in the factory continued with particular interest being shown by Frederik Wilhelm III (1777-1840) whose royal patronage, together with growing demand from an increasingly wealthy middle class, provided it with a solid base in the early 19th century.