The arms are those of Grosvenor enclosed by the Order of the Garter and accolé with Grosvenor with those of Egerton on an escutcheon of pretence, all under a marquess's coronet, as borne by Robert, 1st Marquess of Westminster, who was born in 1767. He sat in Parliament as Tory M.P. for East Looe 1788-1790 and for Chester 1790-1791, and served as a Lord of the Admiralty in 1789-1791. During the first Napoleonic scare, in 1798, he raised a regiment of volunteers in Westminster and was also made a Colonel of the Flintshire militia.
Richard Grosvenor succeeded his father as Earl Grosvenor in 1802 and the following year he began extensive rebuilding of the family seat, Eaton Hall in Cheshire. In the seventeenth century the Grosvenors had acquired through marriage extensive undrained farmland to the west of London. With the expansion of London westwards in the early nineteenth century, this land offered great potential for development and Grosvenor employed Cubitt to lay out streets and squares and build townhouses. The area is now known as Belgravia. Grosvenor was also a great sportsman, and in 1834 he won the St Leger with his horse Touchstone.
Grosvenor was created Marquess of Westminster in 1831, as one of the Coronation Peerages of William IV. He was bearer of the Third Sword at the coronation of Victoria in 1838 and, in 1841, he was created a Knight of the Garter. This tureen, originally one of a pair, was presumably part of a service commissioned in that year to commemorate this event. He had married, in 1794, Eleanor, daughter of Thomas Egerton, 1st Earl of Wilton. He died in 1845 aged 77.