Thomas Willson established a furniture broking firm in 1821 at 68 Great Street. However, recent evidence suggests that the firm was actually established in 1818 and that Thomas Willson was a cabinet-maker as well as a dealer. The firm's stamped furniture is made up of both second hand pieces which were simply retailed, and items made in their own workshop. Between 1830-7, after the death of Thomas Willson, the business was continued by Mary Willson and Son; after 1838 the business carried on under Matthew Willson.
Christopher Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, p.489, no.1006 and he Dictionary of Furniture Makers 1660-1840, Leeds, 1986, p.985.