Originally called the New England, she was built by the Harland & Wolff in Belfast. She was launched on April 7, 1898 and was renamed Romanic in 1903 when she was sold to the the White Star Line of Liverpool. In 1912 she was again sold to the Allan Line of Glasgow and finally renamed Scandinavian, and traveled the Glasgow to Montreal service. On July 9, 1922, she was laid up, and she was finally sold in 1923 to F. Rijsdijk of Rotterdam for breaking up. Scandinavian was actually resold to Klasmann & Lentze, Emden on July 16.