CHARBOROUGH PARK, DORSET.
Charborough Park was until 1967, the seat of Vice-Admiral The Hon. Sir Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, K.C.B., D.S.O (d.1967), a Vice-Admiral and a founding member of the Naval Society.
Charborough Park became part of the Erle estate as a result of the marriage of Sir Walter Erle (d.1581) to Mary Wykes of Charborough (d.1581), the heiress of the Wykes. Sir Walter Erle's grandson, Sir Walter Erle II (d.1665) inherited Charborough Park at his grandfather's death, after the estate was burnt down under the Royalists' influence. It was his grandson, Thomas (d.1720), who carried out further alterations to the manor including the grand staircase hall featuring paintings by Sir James Thornhill (d.1734), the famed decorative painter. It was Richard Grosvenor (d.1819), who married Sarah Frances Drax (d.1822) and altered and enlarged the house in 1810. Their daughter Jane married John Sawbridge of Olantigh, Kent in 1827. Sawbridge not only enlarged the park land but was also a great collector especially of old wood carving.