No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
GILLOWS AND OLD WARDEN PARK
The Old Warden estate in Bedfordshire was bought in 1872 by Joseph Shuttleworth, of Hartsholm Hall, Lincolnshire, who commissioned the architect Henry Clutton (1819-1893) to design a house based on Gawthorpe Hall in Lancashire. This was then the home of Lord Shuttleworth and is now the property of The National Trust. The building work began in May 1876 and was rapidly executed by the London firm of Cubitts, with the 'covering in' ceremony in January the following year. Gillows were commissioned to supply the majority of the furniture and the date when this began suggests that the house was completed very quickly. This aspect of the furniture commission is particularly significant, in that it is datable to the late 1870s and early 1880s, giving a snapshot of the Gillows' work at this period. Susan Stuart's work on the numbering of Gillows furniture allows us to be specific about the date of manufacture of much of the Gillows furniture, which is extremely unusual.
Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth (b.1909), grandson of Joseph Shuttleworth, was killed in a flying accident in 1940 and it was in his memory that his mother founded the The Shuttleworth Trust in 1944 as a charitable trust for educational purposes. The house is now the centrepiece of the Shuttleworth College, which is supported by Writtle Collge, Essex. The Trustees have carefully maintained the late Victorian feel of the main rooms, which are used for events including weddings.
An earlier sale of furniture from Old Warden took place at Christie's South Kensington on 31 March 1993, lots 442-580. This included a suite of jasper-mounted mahogany bedroom furniture in the Adam Revival style, numbered by Gillows around 9150, which dates it to 1880-1881. Lot 554 in that sale was a dressing-table numbered L14751, indicating that the commission continued at least until 1883-4.
THE PROPERTY OF THE RICHARD ORMONDE SHUTTLEWORTH CHARITABLE TRUST
OLD WARDEN PARK, BIGGLESWADE, BEDFORDSHIRE
SOLD BY ORDER OF THE TRUSTEES