The chairs, with palm-flowered and reed-enriched frames, relate to chair patterns in the 1823 Estimate Sketch Book of Gillows of London and Lancaster, and to their dining-chairs delivered in 1825 to Linton Park, Kent, for Earl Cornwallis (see S. Sartin, Gillow Chairs and Fashion, Exhibition Catalogue, Blackburn, 1991, pp. 34 and 35). Chairs of this identical pattern, but executed in calamander wood, are likely to have formed part of the furnishings introduced to Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire by Chandos Leigh, 1st Baron Leigh of Stoneleigh (d. 1850) soon after inheriting the estate in 1823 (see Christie's house sale catalogue, Stoneleigh Abbey, 15 October 1981, lot 89).
Gillows also supplied a set of related dining-chairs, amongst other furniture, to John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow (d. 1853) for Belton House, Lincolnshire and Carlton House Terrace. The Brownlow chairs also have the palm-flowered incised decoration. The chairs were sold by the Lord Brownlow, Belton House, Lincolnshire, Christie's house sale, 30 April-2 May 1984, lot 55 and again by Christopher Cowlin Esq., Lyegrove, Badminton, Avon, Christie's house sale, 26 September 1988, lot 113.