This group was derived from the pair of Guillaume Coustou's monumental marble sculptures Chevaux Retenus par des Palefreniers, executed between 1739 and 1745 for the château at Marly1. For another example of this group, see Otto Walcha, Meissen Porzellan (Dresden, 1973), pls. 115 and 116; Carl Albiker, Die Meissner Porzellantiere (Berlin, 1959), pl. 245 and 248, and for the group with its campanion group (with a Turk), see Len and Yvonne Adams, Meissen Portrait Figures (London, 1987), p. 167.
The marchands-merciers adopted the group as particularly appropriate for mounting in ormolu, and the group was frequently mounted with clocks. P. Heuer and K. Maurice illustrate a drawing for an elaborate rocaille ormolu clock incorporating this group in European Pendulum Clocks (Westchester, 1988), p. 11, fig. 6, and in 1767 a Louis XV clock incorporating the group was recorded in the A.A. Levesque Collection2.
1. These sculptures were moved in 1794 to their present location at the intersection of the Champs Elysées with the Place de la Concorde in Paris.
2. This clock was sold from the Riahi Collection, Christie's New York, on 2nd November 2000, lot 49.