The Swan service was commissioned by Count Brühl (1700-1763), the director of the Meissen factory from 1733-63, in 1737 on the occasion of his marriage to Maria Anna Franziska von Kolowrat-Krakowska. The moulded decoration was carried out by J.J. Kändler with the assistance of J.F. Eberlein.
The service, which appears to be the largest service produced in the 18th century, is discussed extensively by Fellmann et al., ibid. The service remained in the possession of the family until after the Second World War. A monteith was sold by Sotheby's London on 15th November 1955, lot 69, another on 28th November 1961, lot 152, and another on 22nd February 1966, lot 80.