A cabinet of this pattern at Frogmore House, Windsor forms part of the collection assembled by Queen Mary, who lived at the house on various occasions in the early 20th century, and later arranged it as "a 'family' souvenir museum as well as a museum of 'bygones' and of interesting odds and ends," (J. Cornforth, "If Objects could Speak", Country Life, 22 August 1991 pp.46-49, fig.1)
A related cabinet, with a view of Warwick Castle, is illustrated by Jennens and Bettridge in their 1851 Exhibition Catalogue, (E.T. Joy, English Furniture 1800-1851, London, 1977, p.275)
Queen Victoria, who purchased the Balmoral Estate, Scotland in 1848, laid the foundation stone in 1853 for the Castle, which was built to the designs of the Aberdeen architect William Smith. Her support for the tartan weavers was demonstrated by the Balmoral tartan worn by her son Bertie at the opening of London's Great Exhibition of 1851. Amongst the exhibitors were the London and Birmingham papier-mâché manufacturers Messrs. Aaron Jennens and John Bettridge whose 'Victoria Regia' cot and floriated 'Lotus-Table' received particular notice in the Art Journal's, "Illustrated Exhibition Catalogue".